Monday, September 16, 2013

Book review: Alison wonderland

Alison WonderlandAlison Wonderland by Helen Smith
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book was gift from the author on the 'making connections' group on the Goodreads site.

From excerpt on the site and the book, this seemed like a light suspense. After reading, I am not sure what category to put the book into. There are some portions where I enjoyed immensely and some where I was so bored, I wanted to put away the book for good. However the writer has a great talent for witty dialogues.

The story revolves around Alison, Taron and a set of quirky characters . Alison is a private investigator and I found her cases/observations funny especially her first case as a PI. Taron is an eccentric character and is looking for an abandoned baby. This is about Alison & Taron's journey looking for a baby while a totally different plot is happening in the investigation firm. More than the story the book is more about writer's style and her use of satire.

I checked the online reviews after I read the book. I saw quite a few 5 stars and was wondering if I din't like it because I'm not British or probably my idea of quirky is different? This is one of the strangest books I've read and I was quite bored in some portions where some character's were introduced. For a long time, I had no idea where the story is heading and the story ended abruptly just the way it started.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a comment & I'll love you forever!!